A hair transplant is a staple service offered by numerous hair restoration clinics in the Philippines today. It is a surgical procedure that addresses hair loss by obtaining a sample of healthy hair follicles from one area of the scalp, and then transferring and transplanting it onto an area where there is baldness or thinning of the hair. It commonly takes hair follicles from the side or back of the head.
Who are the ideal candidates for a hair transplant?
Hair restoration in the Philippines is available to any individual who wants an solution to visible baldness, thinning hair or hair loss caused by genetics or scalp injuries. Anyone can also be a hair donor, provided that he or she has a healthy scalp and follicles, and holistic good health.
Which areas are affected during a hair transplant?
Hair loss doctors in the Philippines prefer obtaining healthy hair follicles from the scalp, specifically choosing the back of the head as the donor site. These hair follicles will then be transplanted onto the balding areas.
Why Should You Get a Hair Transplant?
Some of the best hair transplant doctors in the country recommend the procedure for the following reasons:
- It can boost confidence and self-esteem.
- It has no side effects compared to hair regrowth medicines.
- It helps patients restore natural-looking hair.
- It is a safe procedure administered by medical professionals.
What to Expect After a Hair Transplant
Patients can go back their normal daily routine day after transplant. They can choose to just wear a cap to protect the transplanted area and the donor site, although strenuous activities is not that recommended to be done immediately. After the procedure, it is normal for the transplanted hair to shed. The growth of new hair will happen in the next few months.
How Long Does the Procedure Take?
A hair transplant usually takes at least 7-10 hours to complete, depending on the case to complete.
What Are the Types of Hair Transplant Surgery?
As part of the preparation, the surgeon will first clean the scalp thoroughly and inject an anaesthetic to numb the back area of the head. After this, he or she will perform one of two techniques: follicular unit transplant (FUT) or follicular unit extraction (FUE).
During the FUT technique, the surgeon takes skin containing follicles (measuring around 6 to 10 inches) from the back of the head and proceeds to stitch the incision closed. This donor site will be covered by the hair around it as it heals. The obtained skin will then be divided into smaller sections, and implanted into the bald or thinning area where hair will eventually grow.
For the FUE method, tiny punch incisions are done to remove hair follicles from the scalp one by one, and these hair follicles will also be individually transplanted into the scalp. Once the procedure is done, a bandage will cover the scalp.
What to Do and What to Avoid Before a Hair Transplant
As hair transplants are a surgical procedure, patients are advised to do and avoid the following pre-operation one-week prior to your surgery:
- Patients should be open about any medical condition they have or medicine they’re taking. Blood-thinning medicines like aspirin or salicylic acid derivatives should never be taken before any form of surgery, as they affect the actual surgery and impede the healing process. Any medication that can cause excessive bleeding, such as Flanax, Midol, Motrin, and Advil, should also be avoided. Anti-inflammatory medicines should also be avoided, like adult analgesic pain relievers like Alka-Seltzer, Aspermin, Saleto, Verin, and more.
- Pineapple-papaya regiment: To help reduce swelling after surgery, drink pineapple juice or eat the fruit three times a day for five days before surgery. Also, eat papaya fruit at least once a day for five days.
- Please schedule your lab test, if not already done: The following lab tests are mandatory to ensure protection for both patients and medical staff and are required in every procedure. If you want, we can direct you to a nearby laboratory, or you can go to any laboratory of your choice.
- Bring a copy of your lab results on the day of the surgery.
- On the day of the procedure, we will perform the antigen test in the clinic.
- Shower before the procedure – Taking a bath before the procedure ensures that the scalp is clean, making it easier for the doctors to conduct the surgery. Please wash your hair the night before or on the day of the procedure. Shampoo hair and rub your scalp vigorously before coming to surgery. (For Eyelash, eyebrow, side burns, moustache and transplant patients – wash face thoroughly. Do not apply any form of make up on the day of the surgery.)
- Eat breakfast or have a light snack before arriving at the clinic- Depending on doctor’s advice and the time of the procedure, you may eat a light amount of food before the operation. A hair transplant does not usually require the patient to fast. Patients may bring snacks (fruit, bread, sandwiches, protein bars or juice) if so desired.
- Wear loose-fitting and comfortable clothing: On the day of the surgery, these clothes, especially button-down ones, are easier to remove and put on. Try to use a button down shirt like a polo, T-shirt, or blouse for easy access. In addition, try to wear comfortable clothes, like shorts, jogging pants, or pajamas. Bring any adjustable cap to use after surgery. Eyelash patients may bring wide-rimmed glasses (shades) to wear after surgery.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking and caffeine – Alcohol and caffeine can affect the effects of anaesthesia, while smoking decreases blood flow to the scalp, which also hinders a fast recovery. No alcohol consumption (hard liquor) 1 week (beer) 3 days before surgery.
- Plan to take off work on the day of the surgery.
The hair is literally your crowning glory, greatly contributing to your appearance, individual style, and personality. However, with natural ageing, genetics or injuries and accidents come thinning or baldness. Thankfully, hair loss treatment clinics are equipped with solutions to restore natural hair.
Manzanares Hair Restoration Center houses the best hair transplant surgeon who is
who skilled in performing both FUT and FUE methods. Call 8706 1698 today to schedule an appointment.